Fire-protection in tunnels
In a society in which mobility is increasing and the volume of traffic is growing rapidly, modern, high-performance tunnels with reliable fire-protection are crucial. Increasingly long and complex tunnel systems are being planned and built, and existing tunnels modernized, in order to meet the growing requirements.
Impact and damage
Because of the spatial limitations of a tunnel, tunnel fires render all escape, rescue and repair measures rather difficult, and are hence regarded to be the greatest risk to people, vehicles and the tunnel structure itself. High-performance fire-protection systems are therefore required to satisfy the demanding structural fire-protection requirements in tunnels. These measures reduce the risk of injury, and avoid severe fire damage to the tunnel structure and, consequently, long closures (leading to a loss of income for tunnel operators and neighboring regions).
Integrated safety concepts
Effective safety concepts in underground transport systems are based on:
- Safe escape route design
- Fire load containment along escape and rescue routes
- Installation of efficient smoke extraction systems
- Integrity of electrical systems
- Protection of structural concrete against loss of load capacity and spalling
Requirements for structural fireprotection systems
Requirements for structural fire-protection systems are assessed on a project-specific basis using internationally recognised time-temperature curves.
The structural fire-protection system ensures that, in the event of a fire:
- No damage occurs that threatens the stability of the tunnel
- No permanent deformation of the structure occurs that restricts the usability of the tunnel
- The leak tightness of the structure is guaranteed on a continuous basis
Cladding with AESTUVER fire-protection boards
AESTUVER fire-protection boards are used as independently fixed or directly concreted (Permanent Formwork) cladding in underground transport systems and protects the entire concrete structure and reinforcement from harmful temperatures.
The clear benefits of AESTUVER fireprotection boards for tunnel operators and transport agencies include the following:
- Use of well-established concrete types without PP fibers
- Can be cleaned using conventional cleaning processes
- Freeze-thaw-resistant & water-resistant
The brochure "fermacell AESTUVER compact Tunnels" presents AESTUVER solutions for structural fire-protection in underground transport systems. Project-specific solutions can also be formulated in cooperation with our fire-protection experts. As a reliable service provider, we pride ourselves on our direct lines of communication and close consultation.